This year for Young Women in Excellence we had a night of integrity. As a group, we worked on the integrity goals and 10 hour project. For the project we made modest purple skirt. For the young women's skirts, we cut a rectangle wide enough to go around their hips with ease and long enough to be modest. The girls sewed a simple side seam, put in an elastic waist, and hemmed the the bottom. Really basic but perfect for a bunch of first time sewers.
We of course had to have matching invitations for that night!
For my skirt, I wanted it to be a little nicer since I plan to wear it often. I found instructions online on how to make your own pattern. It is a basic A-line skirt with an elastic waist. Once you have the pattern made, sewing is a breeze. I made Ellie a matching one.
Here's the link:
http://www.isew.co.uk/sewing_techniques/skirt_block-c-00746.htm
Here's the link:
http://www.isew.co.uk/sewing_techniques/skirt_block-c-00746.htm
The website also had instructions for a A-line with a fitted waist and zipper. I didn't make one of these for myself yet, but I did for one of the other leaders in our group. Amber and I had made her pattern up camping one weekend but she ran out of time to make it with me (she is moving asap, not lazy!). This was my first time doing a yoke and zipper. Once I got it figured out in my head, it wasn't too hard. And let the record show, it didn't fall apart on Amber that night! One of Amber's job for that night was to make the girls a matching bow out of the fabric scraps to go in their gift bags. They turned out sooooo cute. Since they had alligator clips on the back, they could be worn on your shirt or in your hair. Amber is wearing hers on her shirt.
This one is mine. I want to make Ellie a similar one. It's made with a sizzix flower die. Amber's mom helped her make them. I will get with her and get the instructions soon.
I've already boughten this really cute black and white brocade patterned fabric to make a fitted waist skirt! I also plan on making a circle skirt out of some other fabric I bought.
Circle Skirt link:
http://www.dana-made-it.com/2008/07/tutorial-circle-skirt.html
Circle Skirt link:
http://www.dana-made-it.com/2008/07/tutorial-circle-skirt.html
No comments:
Post a Comment